Lagos Govt. Gives Occupants 24Hours Ultimatum As Death Toll Increases to 8 in Collapsed Building

Storey building to be brought down. Photo: Benedict Uwalaka

Monday May 02,2022

Odutayo Odusanya

The Lagos state government on Monday sacked occupants of a two storey building, giving them 24hours notice after another building collapsed at Ebute Meta on Sunday night. The occupants were said to be shocked when they saw an excavator driven to the premises on 38, Ibadan Way, Ebute Meta.


So far eight persons have been confirmed dead including a mother and her child while rescue operations are ongoing at the collapsed building.

However, according to Ibrahim Farinloye, south-west zonal coordinator , Public Affairs of Nigerian Emergency Management Agency, said about 38 persons have been rescued from the rubles.

Operatives of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service (LASAMBUS), and the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA) are at the scene to rescue trapped victims.

The building collapse is the second in the Yaba-Ebute-Meta axis in the past two months.

On February 13, a three-storey building collapsed in the Onike area of Yaba, leading to several casualties.

The developer of the project was said to have returned to the site despite a stop-work order on the structure.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.